Torrioni Genovese e Stella

The two cylindrical structures flank the ancient Porta Càleri (later Parma), from which access to the main road axis of the built-up area. Built in 1513 under the government of the commissioner Luchino Stella, after whom one of the two towers is named, they were used as private dwellings following the loss of their ancient defensive function, caused by the demolition of the city walls in the second half of the 19th century. On the tower known as the 'Genoese' tower, the Banco di San Giorgio, which from 1494 had entered definitively into possession of Sarzana, significantly affixed two marble slabs depicting St George and the dragon, still visible, although fragmentary, in the masonry.